Skip to main content

Logitech Combo Touch Keyboard Review for iPad 10.2 8th Generation 128GB WiFi



use the iPad mainly to read loads of PDFs, use Reminders and notes [read Microsoft OneNote], mails, iMessage, FaceTime calls, some entertainment with YouTube, Amazon Prime and Disney+Hotstar. Though I have Apple TV subscription free for a year I have not used it as contents in it are not to my liking. I sparingly play some games like Sudoku, Mahjong and Solitaire. All the apps I have mentioned run like a breeze on the 8th Gen iPad which shares the A12 Bionic chip with the iPhone XR. I get a day’s use without any problem and the 20W charger that comes with it juices up the iPad fast. It juices up my iPhone faster.

 

Speaking about the productivity purposes that the iPad serves me for, the first thing I did was install Microsoft OneDrive and sync all my files with my Windows PC and laptop. Apple’s storage plans are bit pricey for me. OneDrive works well and I get the entire MS Office suite and another benefit is I get, the major one being 1TB storage space per user and I share with 6 users [that’s 6TB in total]. Next, I installed Word, Excel and OneNote for iPad. Installed Adobe Acrobat Reader. So that sort of explains my usage.

 

When using word, email, excel, etc. the onscreen keyboard uses up a lot of screen space.  That is when I thought should look for a physical keyboard and went to the Apple website. Saw the smart keyboard, and the Apple Pencil (only 1st gen is compatible though). Also, saw other keyboards from outside Apple stores and found that most of them did not have a trackpad and relied on Bluetooth to pair with the iPad. That would be a problem as it would drain the battery faster. The keyboard itself had to be charged separately and it means maintenance for that separately. Most important part is the buggy connectivity offered by the Bluetooth, which was the case with many online reviews I read. On further searching I stumbled upon two YouTube videos explaining about the Combo Touch keyboard from Logitech and convinced me to buy it. Links are given below.

 

Link-1 https://youtu.be/W0hy2b1qngI

Link-2 https://youtu.be/zEBROkAGfYY

 

As explained earlier, my exposure to the Apple products has been minimum and going through a steep learning curve with the UI especially with the shortcut keys and commands. Considering that, it is fairly easy for me to use the keyboard rather than the onscreen one. There are lot of settings to be done to get it close to one’s style of usage and they are available under General and Accessibility categories. You also need to setup the Gestures and Trackpad settings for your best-fit use. I am slowly changing them one at a time to get the best for me. Within those setting changes I am typing this review on the iPad using the Combo Touch keyboard.

 

The Combo Touch Keyboard comes in two parts, one being the case with an adjustable stand to hold the iPad and the second one the keyboard itself with trackpad and smart connector pins. The pins are the magnetic ones that latch on to the iPad’s connectors. The outer case and the keyboard is finished in plastic but gives a matte finish as if it’s some sort of fabric. The keys have a good amount of travel, are less noisy and well-spaced. I am telling well-spaced despite just moving in from using a full-fledged keyboard from my PC and the keyboard from my laptop, both Windows devices. I used to own a 11” laptop and the Combo Touch reminds me of those days. The only difficulty I am facing is getting used to Apply style of shortcuts and commands which most of us will get used to with time.

 

The case and keyboard part together make the iPad bulkier, but that is one small price you will pay for the features and ease of use you get. The weight is not a problem when compared to most laptops except for MacBook Air and HP Spectre series. The edges of the case part are made from rubber and are thick and should protect the iPad in case of unfortunate falls. One has to press hard to use the physical buttons for lock and volume controls when you are using it without the keyboard and with the keyboard one need not worry as there are shortcut keys for the same. The case part also has a sleeve to hold the stylus, be it Apple Pencil or Logitech Crayon. There is a small, raised bump above the screen so that the keyboard does not touch the screen when the device is closed. Only time will tell if the keys put their mark on the screen like in many laptops. Above the row of number keys, you will find the shortcut keys for Home, brightness (screen and keyboard backlight), media controls and lock keys. Yes, you read it right and no need to pinch yourself, the keyboard is backlit and there is an auto-off feature too to save battery as the keyboard draws power from iPad’s battery. Good thinking from Logitech. The case part has a flap on the outside to help adjust the resting angles. It goes from full flat to close position. It can be used even without the keyboard part. The trackpad is of decent size and is good considering the overall size of the entire device. The trackpad supports gesture and touch sensitive clicks and controls all of which must be customised under the settings as mentioned earlier.

 

The Combo Touch set me back by about INR 13,471 (purchased through Amazon India). The MRP on the pack is mentioned as INR 14,995. The iPad cost me INR 36,500 purchased from local store and its MRP is INR 37,999. The accessory does not have the hassle of separate charging and Bluetooth connectivity. For the bulkiness it adds to the iPad, it compensates by providing a sturdy case and good keyboard with trackpad. The Combo Touch is a must have accessory if your usage involves lot of typing be it chats, mails or text editing. I would certainly, with a smile on my face, recommend the accessory.

Comments